Parade of legislative votes to begin July 11

Due to several vacancies for a variety of reasons, Tulsa area voters will go to the polls for special elections in the upcoming weeks.

The first will be between Republican Tressa Nunley and Democrat Karen Gaddis on July 11 in House District 75.

That seat is open due to the resignation of former State Rep. Dan Kirby, who resigned after being accused of sexual harassment. Nunley won the GOP primary and Gaddis won the Democrat primary in May.

Due to the passing of the late Rep. David Brumbaugh, there will be a primary August 8 for the seat in House District 76 in Broken Arrow.

The Republican candidates are Shelley Brumbaugh (widow of David); Brian Elliot; Ross Ford; Suzanne Dodson; Jess Guthrie and Cliff Johns.

The Democrats who filed are Chris Vanlandingham and Forrest Mayer.

After the winner-take-all primary in August, a special election will take place on November 14.

State Sen. Dan Newberry, R-Tulsa, announced that he is resigning from the Senate, effective January 31, 2018. Gov. Mary Fallin has ordered a special election in District 37. The filing period will be June 26-28, with a winner-take-all primary on September 12 and the special general election on November 14.

Brian O’Hara, a former Jenks City councilor and a staff member with U.S. Rep. Jim Bridenstine, has announced he will seek the GOP nomination in that race.

Voters in Tulsa County who want to have absentee ballots mailed to them for the July 11, 2017 State House District 75 Special General Election should apply now, County Election Board Secretary Gwen Freeman said. Although the County Election Board can accept applications for absentee ballots until 5 p.m. on July 5,  Freeman urged voters who want to vote by absentee ballot to apply early.

Absentee ballot application forms are available at the County Election Board office located at 555 N. Denver Ave. An online version of the form can be filled out and submitted electronically at: A print form can also be downloaded at that address.

Ballots must be in the hands of County Election Board officials by 7 p.m. on Election Day to be counted.

Freeman said any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot in any election in which he/she is eligible to vote. However, a voter must be registered and reside at an address within the geographical boundaries of a school district or a municipality to be eligible to vote in school district or municipal elections. It is not necessary to give a reason for voting absentee.