The Rose Day Pro-Life (Indoor) Rally, which is sponsored by the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma (BGCO) and other groups on the Rose Day Committee, is the single largest annual gathering of pro-life Oklahomans.
The 2017 Rose Day will take place at the Oklahoma State Capitol on Feb. 8 and will feature pro-life author and pastor Dr. Ronnie Floyd.
Floyd is senior pastor of Cross Church, Springdale, Ark. In June 2014, Floyd was elected president of the Southern Baptist Convention and was elected to a second term in 2015. Floyd has been an outspoken voice in the pulpit and in writing on behalf of the unborn and for the sanctity of human life.
Rose Day, which brings together multiple pro-life and faith-based groups, was originally established in Oklahoma by a small handful of pro-life Roman Catholics in the years that followed the infamous 1973 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court ruling. Rose Day previously has featured other notable pro-life speakers including the following:
- Norma McCorvey, formerly “Jane Roe” of the Roe v. Wade court decision;
- Former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating;
- Alveda King, niece of civil rights movement leader Martin Luther King Jr.;
- Abby Johnson, a pro-life spokeswoman and former Planned Parenthood clinic director;
- Frank Pavone, national director of Priests of Life and president of the National Pro-Life Religious Council; and
- Abortion survivors Melissa Ohden and Gianna Jessen.
During the Rose Day event, attendees bring red roses as a symbol of their pro-life stand for the governor, lt. governor and their state senator and State House member. Following rose distribution, a rally takes place indoors in the 4th floor House Chamber of the Capitol.
Anthony Jordan, BGCO Executive Director-Treasurer, invites the faith community and pro-life Oklahomans to take part in Rose Day.
“Rose Day continues to be a strategic event for the pro-life cause in Oklahoma,” said Jordan. “We are in crucial days for the pro-life movement. This is a life and death issue, and we must be faithful.”
For information about Rose Day, visit www.BGCO.org/RoseDay.