TU has historic comeback win; Arnold Palmer passes

All I can say is, “Too bad this wasn’t a home game for the Tulsa Golden Hurricane.”

Tulsa’s football team scored its biggest come-from-behind victory in school history. After being down 31-0 in the second quarter, the Golden Hurricane came back to beat Fresno State, 48-41 in double overtime.

“What a game! We spot them 31 points, and come back and win in overtime,” said Tulsa coach Philip Montgomery. “There was never quit in this team, and we had enough left in the tank to finish it off. At halftime, we felt like we were in a good spot, only down by 10 points. The game was there for us to take.”

The game was played in front of 23,273 fans at Bulldog Stadium, but I just can’t imagine how cool it would have been to have that kind come back in front of your own fans. The win certainly is a huge feather in the season cap of the Golden Hurricane, but it could have gone a long way to get the local fans fired up had it been played at H.A. Chapman Stadium.

Fresno State jumped out to 31-0 lead with 10 minutes to play in the second quarter, before Tulsa scored on three straight drives to cut the Bulldogs lead to 31-21 at the half. Fresno State (1-3) extended the lead to 34-21 with a field goal in the third quarter, but the Hurricane scored 17 unanswered points to take a 38-34 lead.

The teams exchanged scoring drives until Tulsa’s Redford Jones kicked a 28-yard field goal to tie the game 41-41 and send it to overtime.

The winning score came in the second overtime as TU quarterback Dane Evans carried the ball 18 yards for the winning touchdown. The Tulsa defense held Fresno State to preserve the victory, as the Golden Hurricane improved to 3-1 on the season.

Tulsa totaled 617 yards of offense, including 344 rushing yards and 273 yards passing. D’Angelo Brewer rushed for 252 yards.

Evans completed 22-of-32 passes for 273 yards and four touchdowns. Evans connected with Josh Atkinson seven times for 107 yards and one TD. Keevan Lucas caught six passes for 103 yards and two TDs, all in the first half.

Tulsa has this week off, and will begin American Athletic Conference play at home against SMU on Friday, October 1, start time to be determined.


Golf is a gentlemen’s game, and for as long as I can remember, the greatest of those gentlemen has been Arnold Palmer. “Arnie’s Army,” as his admirers are called, mourned the death of Palmer on Sunday, he was 87.

Palmer was a seven-time major champion, from the small town of Latrobe, Pa. Much was made throughout his career, of his rise from farm boy, to becoming the face of golf to the entire world.

He attended Wake Forest University on a golf scholarship, then spent three years in the Coast Guard. When he got out of the service, Palmer was 24 years old and was a paint salesman in Cleveland. That’s when he entered and won the 1954 U.S. Amateur at the Country Club of Detroit. He never returned to the paint store but rather played Waite Memorial in Shawnee-on-Delaware, Pa., the following week. A few months later, in November 1954, Palmer announced he was turning pro, and the future of golf would forever be changed.

I only had the opportunity to meet and talk with Palmer one time, and it was very brief. It was during one of the major golf tournaments held at Southern Hills Country Club. I remember he offered for me to share a ride in a golf cart, to watch the golfers at the practice greens, but I declined the offer, and said, “that’s okay, thanks, I’ll walk.”

As soon as he rode away, I was kicking myself, thinking, “who has an opportunity to say they hitched a ride with Arnold Palmer on a golf course and didn’t take it?”

Lesson learned; never turn down a reasonable offer from someone who wants to do something nice for you. That’s what a gentleman does.