What earthquake insurance covers

The Oklahoma Insurance Department (OID) is committed to helping those affected by one of the strongest earthquakes in state history. Gov. Mary Fallin declared a state of emergency in Pawnee County, the area rocked hardest by the recent 5.8 magnitude quake. OID representatives toured the damaged areas in Pawnee and met with local officials.

“Oklahoma is vulnerable to earthquakes right now,” said Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner John D. Doak. “My department wants to make sure the people hit the hardest can recover quickly. We can answer their insurance questions and walk them through the claims process.”

A standard homeowners’ insurance policy does not cover earthquake damage. But many Oklahomans have earthquake coverage through an endorsement on their homeowners’ policy or through a stand-alone policy. This type of coverage protects your home from catastrophic damage. Earthquake insurance typically covers:

  • Home repairs needed because of the quake
  • Replacement of personal property directly damaged by the earthquake
  • Additional living expenses while your home is rebuilt or repaired
  • Debris removal

Earthquake insurance does not cover:

  • Replacement of brick, rock or stone that covers the outside of your home
  • Damage to your lot or land
  • External water damage
  • Vehicle damage

Many insurance companies won’t sell earthquake insurance immediately after an earthquake. The moratorium can be anywhere from 72 hours to 60 days after the quake.